Friday, May 3, 2013

The Curse of Being Sensitive

Whether it is longing and loneliness being away from the woman I love, or feeling terrible that I had to put down an elderly pet, or being unable to tolerate cruelty or rudeness in any form - I suffer from all of these and more. In my youth I was always called the "sensitive one" in the family for being musical and artistic and literary. I was known to punch another kid in the face for stepping on a bug. I once told an adult neighbor he was a "worthless coward" for killing a harmless pair of beautiful gopher snakes that made the mistake of crawling into his back yard. And this killing of snakes really bothered me deeply for a long time. I was incensed to know that a "normal" adult could act so stupidly. Even an 8 year old kid like me was smarter than the asshole who took a 2X4 to a mated pair of six foot harmless reptiles who do nothing but help rid us of rats and mice. I knew then that knowledge is power. And it's OK to be sensitive, because the opposite would be a misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment